Friday, February 3, 2012

Natural Hair Tips

I have been on a kick to keep my home more natural, or as natural as I can....


My hair is usually fine, thin and oily. Here are some tips I have found that have helped me have more natural hair:


1. Limit the washing - even though I usually work out 4 days a week, I still only wash my hair every other day for the past couple of years. This has helped keep natural oils in my hair, yet limit the amount of oils made my by scalp due to the stripping of the natural ones with daily washing. One of my friends rinses her hair every day, but washes every other day. That didn't work for me, but it might for one of you.


2. De-greasers - baby powder, dry shampoo and other concoctions (search on Pinterest for some good ones) are helpful to help with keeping the oily look out of your hair. I have recently discovered, since I shower at night, if I apply the baby powder before going to bed, I can lessen the "white/grey" looking hairs and scalp.


3. Homemade Shampoo - Thanks to some other blogs, my own research, and experimenting, I have managed to make a natural shampoo using basically another blogger's Homemade Natural Shampoo Recipe :


1 c. Dr. Bronner’s organic castile liquid soap
2 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
3/4 Tbs. tea tree & Vit. E oil (or just one oil only, etc.)

(Note: I did not add the vitamin E oil since I am a penny pincher, but that might have helped make it more conditioning if you tend to have more dry hair)
1/4 c. water
1 (16 oz) spray bottle or other container for application



So far, I have felt really good about my hair texture - look and feel. Try it!
Here's to a more wholesome life with natural hair!


No comments:

Post a Comment