Monday, August 6, 2012

The American Heiress by Daisy Goodwin: book review


Don't you sometimes wish that Jane Austen could write another tale so you could take another romantic jaunt to another time and place? I do, and I solved my yearning by reading The American Heiress.

I have to admit that I am not a "reader," but I devoured this novel by new British author, Daisy Goodwin, in 3 decadent days at the beach. The storyline kept me engaged with every turn of the page (yes, it was an actual book with pages thanks to my local library). Although I would say that her writing is in a more modern form than the insurmountable Jane Austen, there was something refreshing in this travel back to a time of elegance in America and England in the late 1800's. Being reminded of a time of proper things, comments and actions is refreshing and infuriating as the same time. The class system along with the gender roles of the time are my "fifty shades of grey," I suppose.

I was encouraged by random postings on pinterest and facebook the read this book due to the quote, "for those going through Downton Abbey withdrawals." So true! I would, however, even argue that The American Heiress is more engaging than a book on Downton Abbey would be (sounds sacrilegious as a devout Downton Abbey-er, I know).

The general premise (without spoilers because I actually want you to read the book!) surrounds the "coming out" (the old fashioned meaning of coming out, not the new) of an American heiress. It continues with a mother's search for a titled European husband for her heiress of a daughter (haven't we all imagined Prince William or Mr. Darcy would ask for our hand at some point in our lives?). Once married, this American heiress, Cora (no association with our Downton Abbey's Cora), stumbles through her role as an English Duchess. With twists and turns that are sure to keep you glued to the page, you won't be disappointed. I won't disallusion you to think that this book is a richly penned as one of Jane Austen, however, it's ease of read makes it all the more delicious, in my opinion.

If you have ever imagined life in a different time or place (especially 19th century England), a Prince or Duke to call your own, riding side-saddle through the woods, investigating an English estate, or how you would fare in the high society as an American Heiress turned Duchess - then this is the book for you.

Enjoy and let me know what you think! (and I bet your local library has a free copy for you to borrow)


No comments:

Post a Comment